Choose your favorite building: Incredible universities
This week’s theme (on 4th of August 2021) is Incredible Universites. In the competition, three amazing and innovative buildings for medical, technology and arts’ research and studies.
1. Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center at Columbia University Medical Center
The Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center is located at the Columbia University Medical Center, in New York, USA. It opened to faculty and students on August 15, 2016 and was designed by Architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, in collaboration with Gensler.
The building is named in recognition of the generosity of an initial lead gift from P. Roy Vagelos, MD, a distinguished alumnus of Columbia’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, and his wife, Diana Vagelos, an alumna of Barnard College and the Vice Chair of the Trustees of Barnard College.
In 2010, the Columbia University Medical Center held a competition to reinvent the look of its education center. With one strategy in mind: to separate all the public spaces and functions in the program from the truly clinical spaces, and to collect and stack them into a vertical campus. Architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, in collaboration with Gensler changed all that with their modern project. DS+R worked on a design research in what was for them a new institutional typology. Thus, they organized the campus in four stacked neighborhoods defined by fire enclosures.
Architect Magazine thus mentioned: Students are hiking in the air in the middle of New York.
For this building, the architects received the 2017 AIA New York Design Award and was mentioned by The New York Times as Best Architecture in New York in 2017.
– ArchDaily: https://www.archdaily.com/793971/roy-and-diana-vagelos-education-center-diller-scofidio-plus-renfro
– Architect Magazine: https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/columbia-university-roy-and-diana-vagelos-education-center_o
– 2017 AIA New York Design Award: https://www.aiany.org/architecture/awards/2017-aiany-design-award/
– DS+R project page: https://dsrny.com/project/roy-and-diana-vagelos-education-center?index=false§ion=projects&search=roy%20and%20Diana%20Vagelos&tags=realized
– Best Archictecture in New York – 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/arts/comfort-and-joy-in-bricks-and-mortar.html?mcubz=0
2. EnTek Building at University of Bergen
The EnTek building, which is the acronym for Energy and Technology, is an advanced research and training complex which contains state-of-the-art facilities for teaching and research at the University of Bergen. The building is located in Nygårdshøyden, Norway.
The project was initiated by Science City Bergen in connection with an international architectural competition in 2016. As reported by Ariktema Architects, the aim of this project is simple: to create a new environment for collaboration between academic research and industry and to be an international innovation cluster for energy, climate, and technology.
With this creation, EnTek is dedicated to becoming a place offering an inclusive and integrated architectural concept, in response to the visions, needs and goals of individuals, the university and the city of Bergen.
The winners of the competition to design EnTek are Danish firm Arkitema Architects in collaboration with Arkitektgruppen Cubus. The project is still ongoing.
Per Fischer, Senior Partner of Ariketma Architects says about the design of the building: “Situated right next to the oldest building on campus […] the building will mark a new and modern arrival to the university, but at the same time, symbolically linking future and past”.
– Cowi: https://www.cowi.com/solutions/architecture/energy-and-technology-building-for-the-university-of-bergen
– ArchDaily: https://www.archdaily.com/798070/arkitema-architects-unveils-new-university-of-bergen-energy-and-technology-building
– Arkitema Architects: https://arkitema.com/en/project/entek
3. Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University
The Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University is located in Texas, USA. Its mission is to encourage creative thinking and original expression, enrich curricular innovation, and promote cross-campus and community collaboration through transformative encounters with the arts, as mentioned on the Center’s website. The state-of-the-art facility was completed in 2017 and designed and renowned by Michael Maltzan Architecture.
The design purpose here is to confirm Moody’s mission to foster connections across disciplines, with bold geometric shapes and inviting transparency, in a contemporary style.
In 2017, the Moody is the recipient of a Design Honor Award from the AIA California Council for its inspiring architectural design.
– ArchDaily: https://www.archdaily.com/806081/moody-center-for-the-arts-michael-maltzan-architecture
– Moody Center for the Arts: https://moody.rice.edu
– Michael Maltzan Architecture project page: https://www.mmaltzan.com/projects/rice-university-moody-center-for-the-arts/
About GAMMA AR
GAMMA AR is a Construction App that brings BIM models intuitively to the construction site using Augmented Reality. It helps BIM Managers, Construction Site Managers, and other stakeholders to prevent errors and facilitate communication between the field and the office.
Check out the features of the software and start your 30-day free trial now.
If you have any questions or need support, send us an email at email@example.com